Skip to main content

Android Development - Udacity Capstone

I'm currently working my way through the Udacity Android Nanodegree and, way later than planned, I'm finally on the last project.  Overall the course has been good and it has been interesting watching it develop as I have been working through it.  One downside is that the course fees are paid monthly, so for each month that you are on the course you hand over another chunk of money.  If you have lots of spare time and can work uninterrupted then it could be seen as a major bonus - get the course completed quickly and it actually works out pretty cheap compared to other courses.  However, if like me things like work and life in general have got in the way then you'll see one month after another roll past and you'll realise it has actually cost you a pretty penny.  Oh well.

Anyway, here I am, finally(!) on the final half of the final project.  This project is down as a Capstone with the idea being that you create one app that displays everything you have learnt on the course.  Stuck for ideas I have wimped out and gone with one of the provided 'starter-ideas' of doing a Reddit app.  The idea that forms the basis of my take on it is pretty simple - posts are displayed to you as a deck of cards allowing you to either dismiss them or add them to your reading pile.  As time goes on stats are built up showing you your reading habits to help you discover what subreddits you should be following.

I have just had my plan approved - you can read it here - so now I just need to build it.  Along the way I imagine I'll hit all sorts of hiccups which I'll document for future reference.

Anyway, here goes...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Android Studio: AVD Emulator with HAXM and Docker or Virtualbox at the same time

TL;DR - if you are having problems running the Android Emulator and Docker at the same time check that you actually have the latest version installed and don't rely on what the SDK Manager is reporting Recently I've been having a problem developing Android Apps on a Mac using Android Studio whereby when I try and start an AVD nothing happens.  Not a blank screen, not a crash, not a 'stuck at the Android logo' just nothing.  The trouble started as soon as I installed Docker for Mac alongside Virtualbox. I noticed that even when I wasn't actively using a container but had Docker itself running I experienced this problem but if I quit Docker the problem went away.  Turns out there's an issue with earlier versions of Intel HAXM and other virtualisation technologies playing nicely together.  The usual fix in these circumstances in to check you have the latest version installed - a quick check in the SDK manager would suggest I did.  However, turns out despit...

Using Microsoft Visual Studio Code and Github together

I'm currently trying to learn Python using the excellent resources at  https://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/  and, in a move that I'm sure would enrage the author, I want to use Microsoft's Visual Studio Code as my editor.  The reasons for this are mainly that a. I actually quite like it and b. I already use it for a number of other projects.  If you haven't already then I suggest checking it out by downloading it  here . When I'm developing or learning new stuff I tend to find myself moving between a variety of systems in different locations including but not limited to an iMac, a MacBook, a Windows desktop and a Linux laptop as well as a few other bits and pieces.  This is another reason I went with Code - it works the same across all my platforms.  One thing that annoys me is when I have been working on one machine and want to seamlessly pick up on another with everything nicely synced.  Some time ago, due to wanting to answer the need...